Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Undignified

A few weeks ago, a group of women from our church got together to attend the Barlow Girl concert. I have been a fan of the band for several years, and so I was excited when I heard they were coming to play at a local church. The concert was good, but different than expected. They played a lot of their newer music, which is quite a bit harder and louder than some of their older stuff. They are seriously talented musicians and did a great job carrying the entire concert by themselves except for one song where a guy stepped in to play bass.
The sister who plays the drums was intense. She swung her head around and headbanged like it was 1994 again. I've not seen head shaking like that in years!

Anyway- although they didn't really share any of their personal testimony (which is G-O-O-D!), they did do an extended altar call at the end. They played How He Loves (as made popular by David Crowder) and talked to all of us about different stuff. One thing that really stuck with me was when she was talking about being 'willing to be undignified'. She asked everyone in the audience to close their eyes and then to stand and raise both hands in praise as we were singing. She said- "I know it's uncomfortable. I know it feels weird. Do it anyway." She went on to discuss how we are willing to stand and scream our heads off at an athletic event, or to proclaim loudly when we have a favorite singer, actress, band, celebrity. But when it comes to Jesus, ummm....wait a minute....it's 'uncomfortable'. She said maybe it's time that we get on our faces and that we become willing to be UNDIGNIFIED in praise to the one who really deserves it. Maybe we need to realize that it's NOT about us and what makes us comfortable. Why in the world are we willing to act passionate about a sports team, a movie, a band, an activity, but yet afraid to act passionate about the one thing that we should be?
  Her words have stuck with me and I have thought about them dozens of times. When I find a really great coupon deal where I know that my friends can get a lot of groceries for free or really cheap, I tell everyone I know about it. I post it on facebook, I send messages, I tell people I run into at the store, I blog about it- I am excited! And I can think of countless times I've been to concerts or ballgames and screamed my head off or waved my arms, jumped up and down, stood in the rain, anything it took because I was EXCITED about it. But do I do that when it comes to God and worship? No. I typically have used the excuse that I need to be 'reverent', and yes, I think there is a place for reverence. But there is also a time for worship. Our Minister of Music puts it best- he says that if you ever feel led by God to do something in worship (such as lifting your hands) and you don't do it, then that is a sin. If God is stirring in your heart and you want to worship by closing your eyes, swaying to the music, singing as loud as you can, or even (gasp) raising your hands, DO IT! It is far more important what God thinks about you than what the people sitting across the church do.
I know it may feel strange. But friends, let me tell you, being wholly surrendered in worship is a powerful thing. Let go and let God have all your praise- become undignified if that's what you are feeling led to do.
Here are the lyrics to a David Crowder song called Undignified:


I will dance I will sing
To be mad For my King
Nothing Lord Is hindering This passion in my soul

Chorus:
And I'll become
Even more undignified than this
Some may say It's foolishness
But I'll become Even more undignified than this
Leave my pride By my side
And I'll become Even more undignified than this
Some may say It's foolishness
But I'll become Even more undignified than this
Than this


Love to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...