Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Homemade Fabric Softener

About 7 months ago, I first started using Homemade Laundry detergent. You can read more about that here

I finally used up the last of my free or nearly free fabric softener that I got couponing and so I was in need of some to use with our huge laundry pile. As much as I love the smell of GAIN scented fabric sheets, I can't bring myself to pay for them when I can make them myself.

I found a recipe on Pinterest that looked easy and only called for items that I already had on hand. I did a little more research and also found a similar recipe on a website called One Good Thing (www.onegoodthingbyjilee.com). I used it on four loads of laundry today to make sure I liked it before I shared it with y'all. Turns out this one is a KEEPER.

If you want to make some for yourself, here's the instructions:

Get 3 cups of HOT water. I put mine in a bowl and then microwaved it to get it good and hot.
I added one and a half cups of vinegar and one cup of conditioner (like the type that you use on your hair). I had this white rain pomegranate that I got from the Dollar store that is pit.i.ful on my hair. It has a nice scent and worked well with this recipe.


I used a funnel and put it into an old fabric softener bottle. 


 I now have a full bottle of fabric softener that should last me for a long time to come. I have a HE front load machine, so I add mine to the fabric softener dispenser just like I did with the store bought kind. I use the same quantity as well. You may need to experiment on what ratio works best for you.


Next time that I make this I will probably use something with a stronger scent. With this batch the clothes don't really have much of a smell. Overall, it was still a success and an idea that I will continue using. 

Love y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...