Sunday, February 19, 2012

I wanted to be like you, Mommy!

I have been silent for a while on this blog for a few reasons. I'm not going to get into them now, other than to say it's good to be back!

Yesterday was a busy day at our house. Marcus had to work so I had both the kids as well as a to-do list that was a page long. We are in the process of getting our house ready to sell and so there are a lot of projects that need to be done. I frantically went through the day trying to knock out as many items as I could. When it was nap-time, I knew that I was going to have to convince K to stay in her room. Lately I've been letting her have quiet time and usually end up letting her come out to help me with something or to play. With so much to do yesterday, it was necessary for her to stay put in her room.

I explained to her that she'd need to stay in her room and then got out some of her favorite things to play with: Her Barbies, her baby doll, her doll house toys, some crayons, coloring books, preschool worksheets and some kid scissors. I left her in the room alone for approximately an hour and a half.

When I returned, this is what I found:
I wondered what in the world had happened and which of her Barbie dolls had that much hair. I said "K- what happened?!" and then I noticed this:
At this moment it began to dawn on me what had happened. I looked at K and realized that most of her hair that used to be down to the middle of her back was now cut short up above her shoulders. It was even for the most part and luckily, she hadn't chopped off any really short.

I stood there for a minute or two with my hand over my mouth not able to say anything. When I asked her what she had done she said "I wanted to be like you, Mommy!" I asked her what she meant and she said that her hair wanted to be short like mine. I think I groaned at this point and she said, "But don't worry, Mommy, I didn't say 'ouch', it didn't even hurt!". I didn't know what to say. After a minute of us just staring at each other, we both started laughing. The damage was done, nothing we could do about it.

This is what it looked like after she cut it:
Most of it was short with a few long pieces remaining. I took her outside to tell her Daddy what she had done and that's when the tears started. She was pitiful. She was worried that people wouldn't know who she was without her long hair and that people wouldn't love her as much.

I took her to get her hair evened up at a local hair salon, and she seemed happier after that. Here's the final outcome:

She looks so much older now! She is still a beautiful little girl and we will have less tangles to deal with now. However, I will never give her scissors to use when she's by herself again!

God's been teaching me several lessons this week through K. I'll share about them later.

Love y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...