Tuesday, January 17, 2012

How to Clean your Microwave

I have recently started using Pinterest. (Yes, I'm aware that I'm a little late to be jumping on the bandwagon).

It is a GREAT site for learning new ideas and ways of doing things, but is one of the biggest time-drains that I've yet to experience. I have to seriously keep an eye on how long I let myself 'pin' and browse.

One of the first things I pinned was a easy technique for cleaning your microwave.

It basically said:
"Have a dirty microwave?" (I'm afraid the answer is a resounding "yes!")
Heat a bowl of vinegar and water for five minutes then wipe away all dirt and stains.

I decided to try it out.

Here are my before pictures: (Mom, if you happen to be reading this, now would be a good time to look away. These pictures of my filthy microwave might push you over the edge!)



I seriously have NO idea how my microwave got this dirty, and I'm even more ashamed that I have absolutely NO idea how long it has looked this bad...

It was time to do some SERIOUS work here!


I got out a medium sized bowl and filled it about 2/3 of the way full of vinegar. Then I added water until the bowl was almost full and popped it into my microwave. 


I ran it on high for 5 minutes and then opened the door with rag in hand, ready for the ‘magic’ to begin. I tried to wipe away a glob of food off of the door and it wouldn’t budge. I figured maybe the door didn’t get treated as strongly as the rest of the microwave, so I moved on to the mess sitting in the bottom. It wouldn’t budge either. 

This certainly wasn’t the ‘magic cure’ I had been promised. Could my first attempt at a Pinterest project really be such a flop?

I decided to run it again, but this time would leave the door closed and allow the steam to sit for longer. I set the timer for another five minutes and let it run on High. When the five minutes were over, I didn’t open the door for another 10 minutes. 

This time when I began to wipe it off- it worked. All of the nasty little bits of food and grime came right off! And there isn’t really any lingering vinegar smell, either. 

Here are the after pictures:



No elbow grease required!
In case you might have a microwave that somehow happens to look as bad as mine, I highly recommend this easy way to clean it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...