Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Facebook Fast Round #2

I started my second Facebook fast today. You can read about the first one here.

This time, I was convicted to do so for some of the same reasons as last time. There were new reasons as well, and a main one being that Lent started today.

I have never fully participated in Lent. As a Baptist, it's not something that we typically practice in our churches and most of the people that I am close with do not practice. However, this post reminded me of the importance of this practice and why it needed to happen for me this year. And not for it to be some trite, easy to give up choice. In years past I have spent the season of Lent doing things such as listening only to Christian music or trying to avoid a certain food. But I never really fully committed, and so I never really grew much from the process.

Ann Voskamp wrote, "Lent...our sacrificing that we might become more like Christ in His sacrifice...We break away to become...One needs to be dispossessed of the possessions that possess before one can be possessed of God." And God began to whisper, then shout. It was time once again for me to step away from Facebook and the huge place that it holds in my life. Sad to see it written there, but if I'm being honest and transparent, true. She also said, "Lent..lets the things of this world fall away so that the soul can fall in love with God...Lent convicts...Lent leads us to the Cross." 

And friends, that's where I want to be. If any one thing is going to have a stronghold over my life, it needs to be the One who formed my life. So for this Easter season, it's time to shut out the voices of the world and listen more to Him.

Today was the first day and I have to say, it was strange! I'm used to checking Facebook while waiting in line or during lunch break. Today I stood in line at Wal-Mart for over 15 minutes (yes, seriously, and at 7:00 a.m.!) and didn't quite know what to do with myself. Later in the day, the same thing happened.

After that, I decided to take my YouVersion Bible App (if by some chance you don't have this app yet, go download it. Seriously. It's free and is good!) and I put it on the home screen where my Facebook app used to be. Now when I have a free minute, I click on the YouVersion app and it takes me straight to the passage of the Bible that I am currently reading and also to my Bible reading plans that I'm using currently.

I have felt a little disconnected because suddenly without FB, I don't know what all is going on with everyone...which if you come to think about it is sad also. Remember the days when you talked to friends and family on the phone every day or two or had a face to face conversation?

I'm excited to see what these next 40 days will hold and how God will use them and my Facebook withdrawal to draw me closer to Him. What about the rest of you? Are any of you participating in Lent and if so, what item did you give up or add?

Love y'all!

1 comment:

  1. Love this! I deleted my facebook three weeks ago and it has been wonderful. I decided to start my lent a little bit early. It is hard, because I miss knowing what is happening in others lives. But it is also so rewarding. Taking the time I used to spend on facebook and spending it on being in the Word or simply just being has been an awesome experience. I don't know if I'll go back after this. Love you friend.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...